Sunday 26 July 2015

Decisions, decisions...

Since the June heatwave came and went, I've been adding the finishing touches to Dreadnought Victory, such that he's now essentially complete. All that remains is to finish off the base, which requires finishing off the dead 'nid - the red skin is basically done (It probably needs a final highlight) but I'm unsure how to go about painting the carapace. Different images I've seen of different Hive Fleet Behemoth colour schemes use blue on the carapace to differing extents, but I think I want to make mine mine look as much like the artwork below as possible. That way the dark red skin and blue-black carapace contrasts nicely with the bright blue and red armour of my Ultramarines, emphasising their opposition whilst still tying everything in with an overall colour palate and not drawing too much attention towards the base and away from the mini itself.


On another note, GW's new paint system seems overly confusing. I had to talk with a guy in the shop for a good five minutes to decide which white paint I needed for my purposes (which is essentially freehanding UM symbols and what-not, and painting snow). I have to say, I'm very impressed with White Scar for painting the symbols, but it doesn't drybrush very well, which I suppose is to be expected for a thin layer paint; It's still frustrating though as I really don't want to have to buy Ceramite White as well.

Finally, I recently graduated from university and now have some money that was given to me as a gift with the express request that I buy something I really want for myself. I haven't had the spare dosh to buy any Warhammer minis for years, so I feel like a kid in a sweet shop. With the amount I've been given, I'm torn between blowing it all on a Warhound Titan from Forge World, or spreading it out more by buying some combination of Space Marine stuff (Probably including Chaplain Cassius and the new Devastators), Imperial Guard stuff (to turn into Ultramar Auxilia), a Deathwatch Kill-Team (I've wanted to make one of those for ages) and an Imperial Knight. Decisions, decisions! The hobby has certainly gotten considerably more expensive in the years I was out of it, so cash doesn't quite go as far as it used to. Looking at the sorry excuses for Battleforces that are available now really drives the point home - a captain, a tactical squad and a dreadnought does not a 'battleforce' make.

Once I've decided how I'm painting the 'nid carapace, I'll sort that out and get the completed pictures of Victory uploaded.

Courage and Honour!
Jon

No comments: